What Happens If a Dog Eats An Apple Core?

What Happens If a Dog Eats An Apple Core?

What can happens if a dog eats an apple core? The short answer is nothing. Apples are a safe and wholesome treat that you can give to your dog. It is safe for dogs to eat a low amounts of apple core. The level of toxic in cyanide apple cores are very low and are quickly metabolized by dogs. However, if your dog consumes apple core, keep an eye for any choking or any poisonings signs.

What happens if a dog eats an apple seed?

You shouldn’t worry about if your dog eats a few apple seeds. It’s true that the cyanide found in apple seeds is toxic to both dogs and people. However, for your dog to get poisoned with cyanide, a lot of apple seeds would need to be consumed.

According to research a medium-sized dog will need to consume 85 grams of fully chewed apple seeds to receive a lethal dose. Your dog would need to eat around 121 apple seeds to consume that much cyanide because an apple seed weighs 0.7 grams (0.02 ounces). Since an apple usually has eight pips, it would take 18 apples’ worth of seeds to give you a lethal dose.

But it is always safer than sorry, if know that your dog eat apple cores or seeds, keep an eye for any choking or other signs of digestive distress. Apples should be cut into slices or small cubes so that your dog may readily consume them. Your dog’s digestion will be facilitated and risk will be lower by peeling the apple or at least taking out the seeds.

What does cyanide poisoning look like in dogs?

It’s possible for a dog poisoned with cyanide to experience vomiting, muscle spasms, wettings eyes, drooling, and voiding of pee and feces.  Mucous membranes start off bright red before changing to a bluish hue. These signs can go for 15 to 20 minutes to a few hours after animals consume toxic plants.  And if there are significant convulsions, death may happen.

Cyanide led to tissue destruction by decreasing its capacity to utilize oxygen. Cyanides are present in plants, fumigants such as disinfectants, soil sterilizers, fertilizers, and rodent poisons. Ingestion of plants that contain cyanogenic glycosides is a common cause of poisoning, though it can also come from careless or malevolent use. Dogs and cats’ fatalities have been linked to eucalyptus species that are kept as decorative houseplants.

Can a dog survive cyanide poisoning?

Dogs must either chew the pit or consume shattered pits in order for poison to be released. Cyanide can be fatal in just a few minutes. If more than a modest amount is consume, cyanide toxicity can cause salivation, rapid or labored breathing, convulsions, and paralysis. The prognosis for recovery without therapeutic intervention is poor because it would take more than 4 days to clear 95% of cyanide poison in the system.

It is important to note that some canine poisoning symptoms manifest right away. While others may not manifest for several hours after consumption. If you are aware that your dog has consumed a substance that could potentially be toxic or dangerous, you should act immediately rather than waiting for any symptoms to surface.

So, don’t wait! if your pet is poison with cyanide call or visit veterinarian as soon as possible.


I advise no giving apple cores to your dog. For the majority of dogs, apples are good, but apple cores are not. The main danger associated with a dog eating apple core is that it can provide a choking hazard. Additionally, it may result in a bowel obstruction, which is a serious emergency. You should be okay if your dog ate an apple core while you weren’t paying attention, but I still advise contacting your veterinarian.

Because of the dangers, I do not advise that purposefully giving your dog an apple core. Amygdalin, which is present in apple seeds, turns into cyanide when the seeds are chew and can poison your pet.

I recommend you to read this post next: Can Dogs Eat Raw Chicken?